Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I guess the world doesn't actually end...

if you fail high school.

"Oh no, but without an education, you don't have anything!" I've really come to realize how boldly overstated that phrase is. Sure, things were looking, to say the least, like sh.t when I got my results. Didn't pass math or chemistry. Cried some (this on the other hand is a bold understatement), tried to snap out of it (a very lean attempt it was, but an attempt nevertheless), and then entered limbo (this is the phase where you simultaneously feel like a huge failure and want to do it over again, and being generally mad and saying things like "To -bleep- with high school, I'll just live on pasta for the rest of my life").

About a week after I'd gotten my results and some really good advise from my ex-mentor everyone in Sweden got their University application results. Turned out, I still got competence enough to get into my second choice of uni. I also landed a secondary replacement place for my primary uni; I thought that was quite an achievement (which it really was, and allow me to boast for a second *drumroll* done.)

Once August finally rolled around I had prepared myself for everything. Not really, quite the opposite. There were too many ways things could go. I'd already gotten into one university, which I could choose to enroll in. I wouldn't know until the sixth if I'd gotten in on my first choice, which would mean going there but the odds of that were so slim. Or, if I got really lucky I might get a continued contract with IKEA. That would according to me at the time, be my best choice. And then August sixth came.

I couldn't believe it when I saw that I got in to molecularbiology in Lund, with two failed IB subjects! Great, now I knew what I was going to do.

That was until the 16th. This was a Friday (just before Saturday and Sunday). Finally I was going to get turned down from IKEA. But then of course that didn't happen for God knows things shouldn't be easy! I got offered a full time contract until February. At least I had the weekend to think about what I was going to do.

That I did. You cannot count the amount of times I wanted to change my mind about everything! Work for a year, earn some money, relax a bit, and just have a general study break. Or jump right back into school. In the end, with the help of the best person in the world, I decided.

University can wait. It turns out, the world can be lenient with you as long as you manage to stick to your gut about something.

I'm not advising everyone to not go to university, but in a worlds where more people have Bachelor degrees than ever, they become interchangeable. Employers require work-life experience!

So here I am, with the first grown-up decision ever. I think it's going to be one good year.

By yours truly,
ETBlogsHome 2013-08-21

No comments:

Post a Comment