Thursday, November 7, 2013

NaNo Day 7 Wrap up - It's been a week

And my story is progressing too fast. (To get to some motivational mo-jo, scroll down a bit)

We all have our problems when writing. If you don't plan ahead, you might be lost and the plot is a dead end. If you do plan ahead (which I did this year) you might rush the very first bit. This is both because I am not an avid writer, I don't sit down 365 days a year and just, write, and also because I knew where I was going.

When you have a specific goal in mind, and it is right there, so close you can actually touch it, you don't think "Oh hey well I really like this road better, it has pretty flowers next to it!" *and there is today's first failed metaphor*. So in other words, I rushed past some big parts in my character building and exposure phase. Because I want my story to say BAM! I am HERE! Read ME!

So the problem? Now my part that I had anticipated being 5000 words is a mere 2000. Well done.


So what do you do? Should you revise it?
NO!  Follow this NaNo rule when we are talking segments in the begining. The plot isn't set in stone. It is a first draft for goodness sake.
Leave. It. Alone. (for now I know it hurts trust me)

So motivation to keep going? I guess I promised that yesterday because I actually felt motivated, but them I realized it was past midnight and I was tired.

MOTIVATIONAL-THINGY-UNO;
Do you know how many words you had 7 days ago? Zero! Nothing. You had absolutely nothing. Now look at the tiny little "infant-seed-child-novel" you have started. (Do not picture what that thing would look like literally) It is your baby! It is frowned upon to dislike babies. You can only do it on others peoples, but only after they are gone and can't hear you. You can't be the parent and the mean single friend! Think about that!

MOTIVATIONAL-THINGY-DOUS; (I am so sorry I don't speak Spanish at all)
Do you know how many words there is in the first version of Romeo and Juliet? 25599!
Do you know how many words there are in A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer, one of the most best selling books of all time and one of my favourites? 32404!
(And you International Baccalaureate students; One Extended Essay can be maximum 4000 words. A novel of 50000 is approximately 12,5 EE's!)

MOTIVATIONAL THINGY-TREISE; (I should just stop but I can't)
Not writing one day doesn't make you a bad writer. Not writing two days in a row doesn't make you a bad writer. Not even if you don't write for three whole days, does anyone get to call you a bad writer. The only bad writer is the person who never writes. Don't be that person.


That's it. Hold on to the little facts. Think percentage wise. Punch out how many percent done you are right now. Your word count, divided by 50000. Now promise to write at least one percent today. And another tomorrow.

By Yours Truly,
ETBlogsHome 2013-11-07


No comments:

Post a Comment